Saturday, January 24, 2009

Density Stratification

I'm cleaning out my bathroom today.

The process consists of going through my drawers, pulling out the boxes, and emptying everything out. And then I put things I need to keep on the floor, and everything else in a big trash bag.

And I'm kind of disorganized so I don't keep things in any special fashion, I just throw things into the boxes when I'm done with them. 
So as I was going through these boxes, I noticed the layers of me. 
The very top of every box is filled with glowstick bracelets, guitar picks, deep brown eyeliner, ribbons, peach eyeshadows, colorful nail polishes, and bandanas.
Beneath that is a layer of black: eyeliners, eyeshadows, nail polish, hair dye, there's a bunch of goop-ey smoothing products, nail scissors.
After is a layer of just tubes of chapstick.
And then at the bottom layer, is lip gloss, mascara, pale pink nail polish, and barrettes.

I feel like I'm digging through layers of sediment and stone, back into the past.
Finding fossils. Artifacts. History.

I could be an archeologist of my own mind. My own past. All in a few cosmetics and hair clips. I never thought so much could be revealed about me in the contents of my bathroom. But you can see each of my phases, or stages of my own personal evolution, in the layers of stone in my drawer. It's really quite interesting.

I may have a future in archeology. The archeology of the human and the human condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment